Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Medical mission, Juana, filters, and the last 2 weeks

The medical mission was an experience, but I was ready for them to go. I am excited to go home. Things are great, but I am ready to go. The group was clicky, full of characters. Willie, a dentist, had his own practice, and dropped it to pursue a peace studies masters. Now he is starting a dental clinic in Viet Nam with a group of Quakers. We had lots of good conversations in the back of the truck on the way home. ¨He is a dude.¨ And then Alicia, an amazing person, provided physical therapy for Juana.

Juana has been heavy on my mind lately. I have been working with her for most of my time here. Now she can walk- without help. When she first went from one table to the next without holding my hand, I was awestruck, my heart smiled and cried at the same time.

But, someone from the medical mission saw her begging for money and here lies the predicament. He mother and her are codependent. She is 9 and needs her mom, her mom has no education and no skills, so she relies on the child to beg and make an income. Well now that it is time for the cycle of poverty to be broken by Juana going to school, the mother doesn't want her to go. Several things have been tried, and the last time I went to do her physical therapy with her she had left. I think that Eduardo is going to call social services on her. It just isn't fair for Juana to have to sit in front of the Basilica and beg for money for the rest of her life. In the back of my mind, I can't help think that I was a part of pulling this girl away from her mother. But it is what is best for her, and probably the mom too. Because 8 years down the road, the mom won´t be able to work and Juana (with an education) will be able to provide for her).

A lot of things came together for me. My roommate senior year wrote her thesis on water purification in poverty stricken places (thanks for that KP), so she gave me a nice set of background information. Then when I was in Coban visiting another volunteer, a crazy priest from the twin cities of all places told me where I could get the filters I was looking for and gave me the contact. We had the money set up and I just needed to work with the group here who knows the people of the village and organize the day. Big success. 22 families will now be able to purify enough water to drink and cook with each day. Water projects are one of the most needed things here, I wish we could have had more, gotten to know the people better, and worked with them to empower them to find their own solution instead of just showing up with gifts.

It is the rainy season! I am so excited, I can't express how good it feels to be not hot. Notice I didn't say cold. The only time I have been cold is when I jump in the walk in fridge just to remember what it feels like. I found a few people to goof around with in the rain with me.

No comments: